Oganizing your backpack drive can be simple, easy and fun! With the provided materials, you can run a Backpack Drive with minimum time commitment. Many children who come to Cityteam are very poor. Quite often their parents do not earn enough money to pay for school supplies. Our goal is to provide tools that will enable them to be successful and independent — regardless of their current circumstances. This drive will give those children the tools they need to succeed!
- Select the dates of your drive. We suggest holding it for up to five days, so people have one designated week to bring their items in. No matter what length of time you choose, plan on receiving items after your deadline. Expect the actual deadline to be a few days after the deadline that you publicize.
- Make some noise! Publicity is the key to a successful drive. Spread the word to as many people as possible and don't be shy about reminding them. Send out an email, call friends and make announcements. People like to be informed about ways they can help.
- Distribute printed publicity materials. Print the contact name, phone number, and the address of the drop-off point on the posters and fliers, and copy as many as you need. Distribute the materials to the group who will be participating in the drive. Deliver them and display them in public areas like a front desk, break room, classroom or neighborhood community center.
- Set up the Drop-Off Point. Make sure the drop-off point is easily accessible. Advertise it by putting up a "Drop-Off Point" poster on the door, window or wall nearby. Secure another poster to the box or bin that you are using to collect the backpacks and school supplies. Place the box or bin where people can see it, but where it is relatively protected from weather.
- Collect, collect, collect! The hard part is over and it's time for you to sit back and watch your group come together to support children who are in desperate need of your help! When the Drive is over, deliver the supplies to the Cityteam location in your area.
Use these resources to Jump Start your Backpack Drive
Tell a friend about your project. Help spread the word - together you can make a difference!
Backpack Drive Instructions - read the complete instructions
Backpack Drive Flyer - distribute this flyer to create awareness
After the Backpack Drive is complete you and your group can visit us when you drop off your donations. This would give us an opportunity to personally thank you for making a difference.
Drop Off Locations:
|Cityteam: Family Services
San Jose, CA
1297 North 13th St
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 293-4657
|Cityteam: San Francisco, CA
164 6th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: (415) 861-8688
|Cityteam: Oakland, CA
722 Washington St
Oakland, CA 94607
Phone: (510) 452-3758
|Cityteam: Portland, OR
526 SE Grand Ave
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: (503) 231-9334
|Cityteam: Philadelphia, PA
634 Sproul Street
Chester, PA 19013
Phone: (610) 872-6865